Gettysburg National Military Park Museum

100+? on display

Created in 1895

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

  • focused on the three-day Battle of Gettysburg (July 1-3, 1863)
  • November 19, 1863 dedication of the Soldiers’ National Cemetery
  • March 1864 cemetery was completed
  • 1864 Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association created
  • 1870 to 1873 bodies of 3,393 Confederate dead were sent to home cemeteries
  • 1872 U.S. War Department took Control of the site
  • 1895 Gettysburg National Military Park was established
    – 800 acres and 300 monuments
  • 1933 Control of the Park to the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
    – 1,400 monuments and markers

Pre-History

  • 1929 Dr. William J. Chewning 100,000 Civil War artifact collection
    opened National Battlefield Museum in Fredericksburg, Virginia
  • 1929-1937 private museum
  • 1938 Sold to Julius T. Richards
  • May 8, 1938 2nd ” National Battlefield Museum” built on the Manassas, VA battlefield
  • then into storage
  • 1945 3rd ” National Battlefield Museum” re-built in Vicksburg, Mississippi
    4005 Washington Street
  • 1960 now called the “National Civil War Museum” sat along the Suwannee River in Old Town, Florida
  • June 15, 1961 Richards sold his collection to Rosensteel

  • 1921, George D. Rosensteel, IV opened the Gettysburg National Museum
    Taneytown Road, across from Gettysburg National Cemetery
  • June 15, 1961 bought Richard’s collection
  • 1967 new steward was the National Park Service
  • 1971 Family sold the collection
    89,000 artifacts and the museum building passed into the hands of the government

1195 Baltimore Pike
Gettysburg, PA 17325

Phone: (717) 334-1124



https://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.htm

http://www.bettycarol.com/Gettysburg/Gettysburg.html

(Visited 5 times, 1 visits today)